Information for Telecommunications Providers

The New Hampshire Department of Energy has limited regulatory authority over the telecommunications industry.

State law and rules require excepted local exchange carriers (ELECs) to register with the Department of Energy. ELECs include all incumbent local exchange carriers, competitive local exchange carriers, intrastate toll providers, pay phone providers, and any other provider of telecommunications voice services, with the exception of those providers of telephone service to customers using VoIP or IP-enabled technology. VoIP or IP-enabled providers may voluntarily register with the Department to obtain evidence of their rights and obligations under the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.

The Department does not regulate providers of wireless or cellular phone service, providers of VoIP or IP-enabled service, out-of-state long-distance service, or internet or broadband service.

The Department administers telephone numbering resources, striving to preserve New Hampshire's 603 area code, sets standards for utility pole attachments, and may monitor relationships between telephone utilities for compliance with federal and state requirements for carrier interconnection and accessibility on nondiscriminatory rates, terms, and conditions.