Renewable Portfolio Standard Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Renewable Portfolio Standard.

I own a renewable generation facility. How do I apply to become eligible to produce Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) in New Hampshire?

Please refer to the Puc 2500 rules, then contact Deandra Perruccio for an appropriate application. Mail one (1) original and two (2) paper copies and an electronic copy of your completed application and cover letter to:

Department of Energy
Sustainable Energy Division
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 10
Concord, NH 03301-2429

Now that my renewable generation facility is eligible to produce RECs, how do I participate in the REC market?

The Department of Energy will notify the New England Power Pool (NEPOOL) generation information system (GIS) administrator that your facility is eligible to produce RECs. At this point, you should contact the NEPOOL GIS administrator to set up an account for RECs. Then you can either market to potential buyers of RECs or contact the electricity provider(s) that you may already have a purchase power agreement(s) with to see if they are interested in purchasing your RECs.

I installed photovoltaic solar panels on my roof before July 2008 and I’m currently a net-metering customer. When can I start selling RECs?

If your facility began operation after January 1, 2006, you may be eligible to produce Class II Solar RECs. If your facility qualifies to produce such RECs, those you produce will have value in the New Hampshire REC market beginning January 1, 2010, when New Hampshire electricity providers are required to meet a minimum amount of their load from Class II solar sources. For net-metering sources, the net energy that your facility returns to the grid may be eligible for RECs. In addition, the total amount of energy produced may be eligible for RECs. You will need to install an additional meter and have the electricity produced certified by an independent monitor. See Puc 2505.09.

My renewable energy facility is located outside of New Hampshire. Can my facility qualify to produce New Hampshire RECs?

As long as your facility is located in New England or an adjacent control area, and complies with the New Hampshire requirements for Class I, II, III or IV RECs, your facility may qualify to produce RECs.

If my facility is located in an adjacent control area, what information must I provide for my facility to be considered eligible to produce New Hampshire RECs?

Provided that the energy produced by your facility is delivered within the New England control area, you must provide the following information:1.) documentation of a unit-specific bilateral contract between your facility and an electricity purchaser, 2.) proof of associated transmission rights for delivery of electricity through the adjacent control area to the New England control area, 3.) documentation that the electricity delivered was settled in the ISO-New England wholesale market system, 4.) documentation that your facility produced the amount of megawatt-hours claimed as verified by the NEPOOL GIS administrator, and 4.) confirmation that the electricity delivered received a North American Electric Reliability Corporation tag from the originating control area to the New England control area. See Puc 2504.01 (a)(2).